Sunday, August 15, 2010

Week 26

It was another crazy, busy week for us--filled with eye surgery for Corinne, Lincoln's first movie experience on the big screen (we don't count the ones when he was little and just came along for the ride), more baking adventures, and a trip to see Sesame Street. Time is almost going by too fast now---when am I going to get my projects done and get all this party stuff together??? We just hope it starts going as fast on Daddy's end. This week was a slow one for him and it made for VERY, VERY LONG LONELY DAYS! Poor Nathan, we will all be together soon.



On Monday, Corinne and I headed out at the crack of dawn for her eye surgery to unclog her right tear duct. Scratch that, it was before the crack of dawn. We had to be down in San Diego and checked in at 0530, meaning we had to leave the house at 0415, so I had to wake up at 0315! Talk about an exhausting drive. It was definitely one of those moments when I wish our chauffeur (Nathan) were here. Corinne was so confused when I woke her up and carried her out to the car. She looked outside and saw that it was dark and kept saying "Dada, Dada, Dada". I know this sounds like a long shot, but I think she remembers dropping Daddy off at an ungodly hour and loading into the car in her jammies. Unfortunately we were not on our way to pick up Dada. On the up side, I did find out that my contacts make night/butt crack of the morning driving much easier. Luckily Stephanie stayed the night with us on Sunday night to watch Lincoln in the morning while we were gone.
Today was the big day and she looks worried during check-in.
















But she was mostly just tired. We got our hospital bracelets and Minnie got one too.
















After check-in she perked up when she saw the waiting room made especially for kids.



















The hardest part about the whole morning was that I had to get her up super early and could not give her any food or drink. She kept rummaging through the diaper bag in search of something to quench her thirst. She found an empty sippy cup and got even more mad, but scored when she found a lonesome raisin buried in the stroller flaps. I thought "ewwweee, gross, don't eat that!", but she was ever so grateful for that tasty morsel.


She was hoping to find more food in the play kitchen, but came up shorthanded and was not too happy about it.






















Then she got her blood pressure taken and her hospital gown. Corinne acquainted this with dress-up time and was perfectly content dancing down the halls in her new outfit.




















After meeting with her doctor the nurse took Corinne and Minnie away. The procedure was less than five minutes. She didn't even get an IV, just some gas to put her out. The doctor explained the procedure as "sticking a tool like a paper clip down her tear duct and out her nose". Ouch and yuck! She came back and said there was definitely a blockage and that she will see us in 2-3 weeks. The surgery has a 90% success rate, but the other 10% require additional surgery to insert tubes in the ducts.


When I walked in to get her the nurses were calling her "Busy Body Corinne". She was up and ready to play with her gas mask and get some food in her belly. After some juice and raisins she was ready to go home---and so was I!
















So we got changed and headed for home with Minnie. She fell asleep in the car on the way home and I was about to as well.





















Lincoln was wide awake watching "Up" with Stephanie and everyone enjoyed a big early lunch, followed by a long afternoon nap.


The rest of Monday and Tuesday Corinne had some minor bloody discharge. It was more gruesome than anything. She wasn't in any pain, but I had to put drops in her eyes 3 times a day for 3 days. After all these months of fighting me with the eye dropper she now enjoys it and thinks it is a game and laughs at me every time I drop one in!

















(As the rest of the week progressed I am not entirely convinced that the surgery was successful. Her eye is definitely less "boogery" but is still dripping some tears. I am hoping they trickle off to less and less as the days go on and are completely gone in a few weeks. I really don't want to go through another surgery anytime soon!)


I headed to my follow up eye appointment and got my prescription for contacts and glasses. My goodness are they going to be expensive--if I can get Lasik, the cost of the surgery will pay for itself in just a few years. I tried to pick out glasses, but found it almost impossible with 2 little sets of hands picking out their own favorites for me to try on. In the end I thought they all looked pretty dorky, so I am waiting until Nathan gets back to help me pick out a pair. He agreed that this was a good plan because "I am the one that has to look at you in them after all!" Isn't he loving???


As a special treat for having extra beans this week (and because Karen volunteered to watch Corinne) Linc and I headed to Toy Story 3. It was only available in 3D at this point, but Lincoln was a champ with the glasses. He put them on as soon as we got in our seats and never took them off--until he tried to climb down the stairs when it was over and realized his vision was a little off. He loved the popcorn and everything about the big screen. During the test previews for the glasses he kept yelling "Mamom those words are supposed to be coming out at us???" I said "Yes, shhhhhh don't talk so loud!" Luckily the theater was mostly empty because he doesn't quite grasp the concept of an inside voice, and he was kind of loud during the quiet parts of the movie.




















We had a great time and can't wait to go back. We both loved every minute of it and really enjoyed some "Mommy and Lincoln" time together. Afterwards we played a race car video game. He was the steering and I was the gas. I accidentally chose the hard course, but we somehow managed to come in 3rd place---I think it must have been all his off roading short cuts.















We laid low Wednesday and I made a fort for the kids to play in while Linc and I gave the bear cake mold a second attempt.





















Lincoln loved wrecking the family room and having a special hide out while our cake baked.





















Corinne had to get a lesson on what qualified as a "door" and what was simply a hole to let light in.





















"Tada!" The mold worked this time. I used the Pam with flour and soaked the pan down before pouring in 2 boxed cake mixes--one butter pecan, the other a pound cake. It made for a delicious combo that is light, yet sturdy enough to be carved---hopefully into Rex the dinosaur in a few weeks.















After whipping up some almond cream cheese butter cream icing, I got to work with the piping bag. Why does this bear have fish scales you might be wondering??? Well, I was trying to practice my dino skin technique, but I feel like the overall effect looked more like fish skin or feathers. After various attempts, I threw in the towel on the piping bag, but slapped a cute face on my feathered bear to give to Karen as a thank you for watching Corinne for me while Linc and I had our date with Woody and Buzz.




















I had extra icing, but ran out of things to ice. So I grabbed a heel of a bread loaf and tried using a squeeze bottle instead. (Thank you Andrea for introducing me to http://www.bakeat350.blogspot.com where I learned of this handy-dandy tool.)
















I was overall happy with the dino scale effect. It might take a toll on my hand, but will be less messy and look better in the end---hopefully.

Corinne wrapped up the day with a little splash time while Lincoln napped.















Thursday morning we headed to swimming lessons. It was super cold when we left the house and Corinne is running out of pants that fit her. So I relied on this old friend to help us in a time of need. This outfit brings back so many memories of Lincoln when he was just a little bug.




















He was much younger when he doned these theads, but still just as cute as can be. Ahhh I miss those days.



















Linc did great at swimming lessons--practiced floating and can now spring off of the "boat" and get to the wall on his own. He did have a bit of trouble following directions...he just gets too excited to listen and would rather play.

















I also took this opportunity to snap a pic of Linc with his new favorite potty. Such a big boy!




















We came home to a clean house and spent the evening watching Ice Age.
















I caught Corinne hiding in her favorite pooping spot.














On Friday we took Chomper to the groomers. The heat is coming and so is Aunt Terri, and I know Chomper will pounce on her as soon as she walks through the door. So I wanted to make sure he was at least soft and not so smelly. I know he feels better with a lot less hair and the kids really appreciate a clean Chomper too.




















Chomper had gotten into this horrible habit of dunking his ears in the water, which makes him develope matts. Well his ears were beyond saving (I know, bad Mommy--a good owner would comb them out every night.) so they got a good shave too. He looked like a completely different dog--almost like a Boxer puppy mix.
















Lincoln's new Twilight Turtle also came in the mail on Friday. No, it isn't a vampire turtle. It is a stuffed animal that's shell lights up and projects constellations on the ceiling at night. Nathan found it online in hopes of replacing his dieing aquarium. Well, it was a HUGE hit. The kids went right into the laundryroom to examine it. Corinne jumped all over me, showering me with hugs and kisses, saying "Thank You" and Lincoln started singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" (accept his own version). We decided to name him Twinkle.





















And it has done the trick so far---it has also illiminated the need for a nightlight!
















On Saturday we headed to base for a USO showing of Sesame Street with the Lewison's.















The show was short and sweet. The big bonus was getting a free spinning Elmo, light-up, helicopter thingy. It helped keep the kiddos happy while we waited for the show to start and the gizmos have provided endless hours of fun/torture while the kids chase Chomper around the house with it and he finds new places to hide.






















Corinne enjoyed the show the most. We had good seats close to the stage, so that Corinne actually got to "high five" a fuzzy character--I am not sure who it was, but it wasn't Elmo or Cookie Monster. But then she got super upset when they left to go dance on the mainstage.




















Afterwards we headed to the other side of base for another cloudy day at the beach. I don't knwo what it is, but it seems like the clouds just appear out of nowhere when we show up and camp out right over the water and sand. Oh well, the kids still had fun, but even Linc complained about the water being too cold this time.


Sunday was my birthday--Yay, the big 2-7! Lincoln wished me a million happy birthdays. He has a great memory and kept saying "Your birthday is on Sunday and my birthday is September 5th!" The kids were great all day and I was treated to thousands of hugs and kisses. We headed to church and I actually spent the hour working in the nursery with the 0-6 month olds. I had a heafty kiddo to watch for the day, but it was a good experience and nice to give back for a change. I will be back again.




















After church we headed to Old Town where I had spotted out a sign saying "The Trendy Cupcake" now open while taking Chomper to the groomer the other day. So I thought, what a nice treat, I will grab a cupcake for us to share for my birthday. Well I get there and not only is it closed, but it is a children's clothing boutique---not a bakery. Oh well, no sweat treats for me today. Then we headed home for lunch. While the kids napped I organized my closet and finally located Nathan's missing slipper. (Sorry about that Nathan, but the kids have been wearing them ever since you left and we lost one about 3 months ago! It has been found, so no worries.)

The house was filled with the lovely scent of the stargazer lilies that Nathan sent me and it was a great afternoon.
















I also got a beatiful necklace from Diane, a bible and calendar from church buddies, and finally a flat iron from my parents. My mom also sent me this thing....



















Any guess at what it is??? It's a hummingbird feeder. I am not sure how I feel about this gift. I specifically remember telling my mom that I didn't want one more mouth to feed. I think she is secretly trying to convert me into a crazy bird lady like herself. You see, she has a special bird book now and can name all her little visitors. And apparently the hummingbirds are quite demanding. "Her" bird goes up to her window and practically taps on the glass when their feeder is empty. I guess I will give it a try. She is right in saying the kids will enjoy it---myself however, not so much. I will hang it up tomorrow after I make the sugar water food. Part of me wants to put it close to the house so the kids can watch from the kitchen window. The other part of me wants to hang it in the neighbors yard so the ants it will attract can head in the opposite direction of my home. Doesn't she know I have a bug problem???

Mom, don't get bent out of shape about this blog. I love you and love my gifts. I just enjoy giving you a hard time.


I decided to treat myself to Outback To-Go (since taking 2 kiddos out to dinner by myself involves the constant juggle of trying to keep them happy and entertained, and in the meantime my food gets cold and it makes for an unenjoyable meal) for dinner and while we were walking out the door Karen delivered this beautiful orchid and butterfly to our front door! How sweet! The butterfly will go perfect on my butterfly Christmas tree that Nathan loves so much---so much in fact that it gets set up in our bedroom every year. I think this tactic is not so "I can look at the twinkling lights as I fall asleep" but more so no one else sees his girlie tree. Oh well, I love it! One more butterfly for my collection! I called my dad right away for tips on keeping an orchid alive and healthy. I am not the best at remembering to water/feed things that don't talk, bark, or cry. Turns out this one only needs misted once a week---that is my kind of plant!

Overall it was a great week and I had a wonderful birthday with my crazy kiddos. We have a packed schedule next week and can't wait to have Aunt Terri join in on the fun. Maybe I will even rope her into one of my projects....I wonder if she knows how to sew???

QUOTES OF THE WEEK

Quote 1: After telling Lincoln that Miss Stephanie was going to watch him Monday morning and be here when he wakes up.

Lincoln: "What are we gonna watch?"

Me: "Whatever you want I guess, but what I meant is that she is going to take care of you."

Lincoln: "Oh she will keep me safe like Miss Karen, Ava and Jake-Jake's Nana, Miss Linda, and Haley!"

Me: "Exactly!"

Quote 2: During lunch. He has been fascinated by the digestive system lately.

Lincoln: "What happens to food when we eat?"

Me: "Well, it goes in our mouths and gets chewed up and mixes with spit. Then it goes down our throats into our bellies. Our body takes the good stuff out and the rest comes out as poop and pee."

Lincoln: "So it goes down our neck and into our tummies and turns into poopy and pee-pee. It works for kids too!"

Quote 3: When we were supposed to skype with Nathan later that night.
Lincoln: "I love my turtle Mamom!"

Me: "Well Dada found it online special for you, so you need to tell him that when you talk to him tonight on the computer."

Lincoln: "You need to tell Daddy thank you for your flowers. That was so nice! He loves you very much!"

Me: "Oh I will, don't worry."

Quote 4: While driving through Old Town.

Lincoln: "What's this? What's this place?"

Me: "Oh this is Old Town."

Lincoln: "My Grandpa Jinks brought me here!"

It is crazy just how much this kid remembers.

Quote 5: After Lincoln told me something pretty advanced for his age (I can't remember what at the moment).

Me: "You are right. You are one smart cookie kiddo!"

Lincoln: "I am not a cookie. I am a Lincoln. Cookies are for eating. Lincoln's are for...."

Me: "Lincoln's are for playing. It is just a silly name I gave you for being so smart."

Lincoln: "Okay, I wanna be an M & M cookie. Those ones are the good ones."

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Love all the pictures! She has so many different adorable expressions!

    ReplyDelete